History of IFEC

 History of the present Iron Forge Educational Center

1922-The school was built and opened with 56 High School and about 100 elementary students

1928-Eight classrooms were added

1939-First grade moved to the local Fire Hall due to overcrowding

1941-Band, art, science lab, and agriculture rooms were added

1945-Business Education classroom was added

1948-Fifth grade moved to the local Fire Hall and Grange Hall due to overcrowding

1949-Second story wing was added with eleven elementary classrooms, a library, health room, and “opportunity room,” the beginning of the special education program

1951-Kindergarten was added with approximately 60 students on the site across from IFEC that currently houses the gas station/mini-mart

1954-A combination gymnasium/auditorium, band room, locker rooms, cafeteria, industrial arts room, home economics room, classrooms, and a suite of offices were added

1964-W.G. Rice was completed and K-fifth grades were relocated to that building

1975-Boiling Springs High School was opened, and this building became known as the Middle School for grades 6-8

1980-Due to declining enrollment, the middle school students moved into the High School building

1981-Kindergarten moved into the 1954 section of this building and the 1921 and 1928 wings were demolished

1985-Renovations were made to the 1954 wing to accommodate fifth and sixth grades

1988-The 1949 wing was renovated and the 1954 wing was refurbished, the cafeteria reopened, and the administrative offices were added

1989-The building was renamed Iron Forge Educational Center and housed grades 4-6

1993-Classrooms on the second floor of the 1941 wing were reopened to accommodate increasing numbers of students

2011-Plan Con A and B submitted with Board approval and subsequent approval by PDE;  district recommended refurbishing and adding to IFEC to create a true upper elementary program for grades 3-5

2012-The Board established the following goals:

  • To provide a quality education that places safety and the educational needs of our students above anything else that may influence such decisions
  • To commit to planning for the future by developing a 3 to 5 year district-wide facility plan
2013-Contract with architects approved in October

1922-1993 information courtesy of:

Tritt, Richard , and Randy Watts. "The Schools of Boiling Springs." At a Place Called the Boiling Springs. Boiling Springs, PA: Boiling Springs Sesquicentennial Publications Committee, 1995. 201-210. Print.